Asking thoughtful questions can be considered an art and can have a big impact on your relationship with team members and your team dynamics.
However not all questions are created equal. So here’s a list of 25 power questions to ask your team members in 1:1 meetings, team meetings or via the Popwork check-in custom question.
Improving the company & personal alignment
- What is the company not doing today that we should do to better compete in the market?
- What’s one thing we’d be 'crazy' not to do in the next quarter to improve?
- What are you least clear about — in terms of our strategy and goals?
- How aligned do you feel with where the company is going?
- What’s one thing you wish you could do in the company to help you with your long term goals?
Feedback as a manager & coach
- What could I do as a manager to make your work easier?
- Would you like more or less direction from me on your work?
- What is something I could do better? What is a criticism you have for me?
- Who in the company would you like to learn from? What do you want to learn?
- On what aspect of your job would you like more help or coaching? Is there a situation you’d like my help with?
Feedback & communication
- How would you rate our communication as a team?
- Do you feel you’re getting enough feedback? Why/why not?
- How do you prefer to receive feedback ?
- What’s an area of your work you want to improve?
- Do you feel you have enough information about ongoing company projects to perform at your job?
Team & personal efficiency / improvements
- Is there anything we should start doing as a team?
- What do you like most about working on our team?
- What are the biggest time wasters for you each week?
- Do you feel challenged at work? Are you learning new things?
- What’s something you feel is undervalued that you contribute to the team?
Motivation & workload
- If you could be proud of one accomplishment between now and next year, what would it be?
- What has energized you in your role over the past months?
- How do you feel your work/life balance is right now?
- Are you happy with your recent work? Why or why not?
- What’s not fun about working here? What do you enjoy most about working here?
Like to ask one in particular to your team? We would love if you can share with us through the chat or at email@example.com